Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"The Lace Reader" - Book Review

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry Pictures, Images and Photos

Publisher's note:

"Towner Whitney, the self-confessed unreliable narrator, hails from a family of Salem women who can read the future in the patterns in lace, and who have guarded a history of secrets going back generations. Now the disappearance of two women is bringing Towner back home to Salem—and is bringing to light the shocking truth about the death of her twin sister."

If you keep up with the blog at all, you'll notice that this book review comes only a couple of days after the last one. :) Once I started reading this one, I didn't want to put it down and my housework is showing it.

I love stories about Salem. One day I'd love to go there. The history is intriguing and woven throughout the book but doesn't detract from the plot of the story. All of the characters were well-developed and the plot was engaging and unpredictable.

Originally when I came across a description of this book, it was under a Young Adult classification, but I really feel that this story will appeal to all ages. It has suspense, magic, eccentric characters, romance...just some of the qualities that made this a great read. One of my favorite books over the past few years was "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield, and it was really comparable to that as far as keeping me engaged and intrigued. I didn't want to put this one down. A definite thumbs-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment