Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2010 Reading List

I'm working on my reading list for the upcoming year. I made a goal to read 26 books this year, but I've only managed to come up with 23 for the list so far. Please feel free to leave me comments with more suggestions. Realistically I love to read so I will probably end up reading more than 26 books but I'm starting with 26 on the list to follow rather than wandering willy nilly through the bookstore trying to curb my desire to grab every book in sight.

Without further ado, here is the list so far in no particular order:

1. "The Bolter" by Frances Osborne
2. "Say You’re One of Them" by Uwem Akpan
3. "The Looming Tower" by Frances Wright
4. "Prisoner of the State" by Zhao Ziyang
5. "The Bear" by William Faulkner
6. "God: A Biography" by Jack Miles
7. "The Unsettling of America" by Wendell Berry
8. "Underground" by Haruki Murakami
9. "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman
10. "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson
11. "The Regeneration Trilogy" by Pat Barker
12. "The Handmaid’s Tale" by Margaret Atwood
13. "A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest Gaines
14. "No Excuses" by Kyle Maynard
15. "Echo in the Bone" by Diane Gabaldon
16. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
17. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahme-Smith and Jane Austen
18. "Have a Little Faith" by Mitch Albom
19. "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger
20. "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy
21. "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell
22. "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe
23. "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman
24. "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry
25. "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn
26. "Making a Family Home" by Shannon Honeybloom

Any other suggestions? As you can see by this list, I don't discriminate when it comes to books, I read all genres. I'm revisiting a couple from school days but let's face it, as an adult sometimes it's nice to refresh the memory now and then.

I signed up for paperbackswap.com this past year because I kept hearing great raves about it, and if you have patience and don't want particularly "new" books, it's a great site. But if you want anything that is new or rare, might as well get on a waiting list...I think the waiting list for "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" is like 45 weeks or something, gah. The price is right though and my hubby has been happy that I've cleared out some of my paperbook stash I could stand to part with also (which isn't many, I hate getting rid of books, I'm a book packrat).

I'm starting off with "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson because I received it in the mail the other day. I'll let you know how it was when I get done with it.

Leave me some suggestions if you've read anything great lately!! Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Have you read Mr. Darcy's Diary yet? I saw P&P&Zombies on the list so that brought that book to mind. I haven't read anything really really good lately to recommend - just some really light YA fiction. I'm working on my reading lists/challenges for the upcoming year so if you need to look at some ideas on what others are reading just stop by. I have alot of reading that I am committing myself to doing (oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reading list! I love reading too, and I love your list -- especially because I don't think I have read any of them, except for #9 (in high school, does that count?), #21 that's a fun one, and #26 :). But the rest -- great suggestions, next time I head out to the book store, I'll stop by here first for some recommendations!

    ReplyDelete